Pumpkin Chai Cookies
Just because it is almost summertime doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy pumpkin right?! These Pumpkin Chai cookies are perfect in every way. They are pillowy and soft and have that melt in your mouth effect that everyone loves from a cookie. With these cookies, you can taste each level of spice. The warmth from the Chai seasoning lifts the flavor of the pumpkin and gives you the ultimate bite!
These pumpkin chai cookies first came to me at Christmas time…I mean, don’t they just scream Christmas!? I would bring these cookies to work and they would be gone in 30 seconds flat. My co-workers would stop me and ask when I was bringing in the next batch and to make sure I saved them some. They quickly became a favorite and when you try them, you’ll understand why!
What will you need for this recipe?
For this recipe you’ll need all of your cookie staples
- sugar (both brown and granulated)
- baking soda
Then you’ll need some not so staple ingredients
- Chai spice mix
- Pumpkin puree
- pumpkin pie spice
But aren’t you missing something?
You may be asking, “but wait, where are the eggs?” Well, when I was researching on how to use pumpkin in recipes (yep, I’m nerdy like that) I read that the pumpkin acts as the egg so adding egg is not always necessary. I also read that draining the pumpkin before using it will help give you a better texture to your baked goods.
This recipe is pretty straight forward for these pumpkin chai cookies. There is nothing complicated to it, and it follows methods most cookies use. Cream together the butter and sugars. Add in the pumpkin and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients. TA-DA! The one thing this recipe requires is chilling time. I think it makes the dough easier to handle and gives them that nice pillowy shape.
The one thing I especially love about these cookies is that they are not super sweet! They do get a nice coating of sugar before baking but even then they have the perfect level of sweetness. The perfect treat to wrap up your evening or start your day!
Pumpkin Chai Cookies
- 1½ sticks butter softened
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree drained
- 1 tbsp chai seasoning recipe below
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- extra granulated sugar for rolling optional
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Create your Chai Seasoning mixture. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, spices, salt, baking soda). Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary and add in the pumpkin puree and vanilla
- Add in the dry ingredients in two portions, stirring to combine between additions.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl again if necessary and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a small cookie scoop (about a tablespoon), drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Roll the dough balls in sugar to give them a nice coating.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes
- I drain my pumpkin using a fine mesh sieve and paper towels. I line the sieve with the paper towels and put the pumpkin inside. Let it rest and you will see the excess moisture come out of the pumpkin
- You can use whatever Chai recipe you like, there are plenty online. This is just the one I mixed up.
- Rolling the cookies in the sugar is optional but I like it because these cookies are not super sweet. You could also drizzle with an icing instead of rolling in sugar if you prefer
- These cookies are FLUFFY! They will be round and pillowy…that’s okay!
Looking for more cookies to bring to your holiday potluck or just whip up on a weekend? Check this out!